Why Choose FAW?
Offering a Catholic education allowing for the development of a strong faith in God, understanding the importance of serving others and learning values that will last a lifetime. One of only 314 schools across the country and only one of 50 private schools selected as a 2012 National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence. 24% of our staff has worked at Father Andrew White School for 10 years or more, including 4 staff members with 20 or more years. All full-time teachers have Maryland state Teacher Certification and one third of our teachers have advanced degrees. Reading and Math standardized scores for grades 3 – 8 are in the top 10% of the country. Since 2011, 30% of our graduates have been accepted into specialized high school programs including Global and International Studies, STEM Academy, Medicine & Health and Academy of Finance, and 28% of our graduates have earned scholarships to St. Mary’s Ryken for academics, leadership and fine arts. Parent partnership encourages volunteers to share their gifts of time and talent in the classroom and in many school activities.
Father Andrew White, S.J. School
2012 National Blue Ribbon Recipient
Father Andrew White School (FAW) was established in 1954. It is a Pre-K through 8th Grade Catholic School sponsored by the Archdiocese of Washington, DC and accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement. We look at each child as a gift from God and focus on Learning Today, Leading Tomorrow and Living Our Faith. Father Andrew White School embodies the true spirit of learning, as evidenced by receiving the 2012 National Blue Ribbon Award for Excellence in Academics. We are building future leaders while embracing Christian values.
FAW is a leader of academic excellence and is the only school in Southern Maryland to be chosen as a Blue Ribbon School by the U.S. Department of Education in 2012, placing us in the top 10% of schools in the nation. Our students have won numerous science fair and STEM awards. Six of our teachers earned the Archdiocese of Washington Golden Apple Excellence in Teaching award (2009 – 2014) and our Principal Linda Maloney was chosen as the Archdiocesan Principal of the Year for 2015 – 2016. Our students participate in a number of advanced academic programs and technology integrated curricula:
- Presidential Excellence in Education Awards
- National Junior Honor Society
- School-wide Spanish and Advanced Math programs
- Accelerated Reading program
- Full-day Pre-Kindergarten program
- Educational Partnership with Naval Air Station Patuxent River’s Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) Program
- Computer and Science Labs
- Beginning and Advanced Bands
- Chorus and Drama Programs
- School Yearbook
- First Place in SMECO Math Challenge
- Middle School Electives
- Basketball program and Cheerleading grades 5 – 8
- After-school Bible Study
Our students use their talents in the community and are proud to represent FAW. Service to one another and the community emphasize leadership and concern for others.
- Student Council Association
- Sisters of Charity of Nazareth Mission Drive
- Food, Clothing and Coat Drives
- St Vincent DePaul Society Walk for the Poor
- St Jude Children’s Research Hospital Math-a-thon
- Baby Shower for CareNet Pregnancy Center
Additional School Services
Extended Day Program offers teacher-supervised recreation and study time as well as an afternoon snack in a nurturing and safe environment.
Free Bus Transportation within St. Mary’s County
Daily Hot Lunch and Milk Program