FAW Remote Learning Information
We appreciate your patience, understanding, and support while our school building is closed during the COVID-19 (Coronavirus Disease) outbreak. We are excited to provide e-learning for our students at this time! Please check back here often for updates and for our remote learning plan.
Please click on your grade level below to access this week’s lessons.
Information about our Remote Learning
What is our remote learning plan?
Our remote learning plan has been devised to ensure that our students continue to receive the best possible education, rooted in the gospel values of Christ. While we understand our remote learning will never replace the in-person environment students have with their caring teachers, it will allow students to continue to make academic progress while building upon their relationships with their friends and trusted teachers as they come together in a new way. We still strive to prepare our students to be responsible, faith-filled, contributing members of society.
All teachers will update their class page links found above. Please refer to these pages as well as email communication from your child’s teacher for more detailed information. It is through these means that you will discover our unique remote learning plans.
What are students expected to do while at home?
At home, all students will be expected to put forth their best effort every day, Monday – Friday. In the morning, students will need to check their class links for any new/additional information. Then they should work to complete all assignments. If questions arise, students and their families should not hesitate to contact the teachers for additional guidance and clarification.
What will a typical remote learning lesson look like for my child?
A typical remote learning lesson may differ from class to class. Teachers will be utilizing a variety of techniques to reach all learners. Examples include lessons posted through Google Classroom, using Google Drive, real time video instruction, pre-recorded lessons and messages, Google Meet, Zoom, and more!
- The lower grade teachers are using a combination of paper packets, recorded video lessons, Google classroom, and a few other approaches to deliver instruction, provide assignments, and engage with their students during the remote learning. More details can be found on the class link.
- Middle School teachers and students are following a set schedule that includes a weekly face-to-face interaction via video/audio conference and assignments in Google classroom. More details can be found on the class link.
The remote learning platforms we will utilize are free to our families. We will support you every step of the way to make this transition as seamless as possible.
How can I help my child succeed during this e-learning period?
- Help your child focus by beginning each day in prayer.
- Establish consistent times for getting up, dressed, and fed.
- Establish a daily routine/schedule for completing assignments.
- Provide a quiet learning environment free of distractions while your child is doing school work.
- Access information regarding students’ assignments on the school website using this link.
- Check in often to ensure your child is staying organized and to answer any questions he/she may have. Encourage breaks for healthy snacks, physical activity, and socialization.
- Monitor your child’s progress and regularly check grades on PlusPortals if your child is in grades 4-8.
- Regularly check for communication from teachers and send them emails with any questions you have regarding your child’s assignments or to share positive experiences.
- Provide additional non-academic, structured activities for your child.
- Enjoy your time together!
Can you offer further opportunities to support my child’s learning?
There are a plethora of resources online. Please check back here for a link of recommended websites to supplement what your child’s teacher has already prepared.
Below are links to various updates regarding our response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Update from Archdiocese of Washington 6-5-2020
Letter to Parents from Secretary of Education 6.5.20
– Remote Learning Survey – Email from Principal: 6-3-2020
As your input is greatly valued and always appreciated, I hope you will take a few moments to complete this survey. The results will enable us to more effectively reflect upon the experience of remote learning at FAW and to determine how our efforts can be improved should we find ourselves in a similar situation in the future.
– Update from Archdiocese of Washington 5-29-2020 & Principal: 6-1-2020
Letter to Parents from Secretary of Education 5.29.20
End of Year Letter to FAW Community from Principal 6.1.20
– Update from USCCB & Archdiocese of Washington: 5-15-2020
Letter to Parents from Secretary of Education 5.15.20
– Mass with the Archbishop of Washington: 5-13-2020
Click HERE to view the Worship Aid to use during Mass.
– Update from Principal/Archdiocese of Washington: 5-8-2020
Letter to Parents from Secretary of Education 5.8.20
Letter to FAW Community from Principal 5.8.20
Link to First Friday Mass and May Crowning Video – skip to where it begins at minute 10:10
– Archdiocese of Washington Catholic Schools – COVID-19 Response and Distance Learning: 5-3-2020
Archdiocese of Washington Catholic Schools – COVID-19 Response and Distance Learning. This publication has been developed to communicate the Archdiocese of Washington’s, and its schools’ collaborative response to the pandemic. Please click the link or picture below to view the entire publication.
– Video from Principal: 4-29-2020
– Update from Principal/Archdiocese of Washington: 4-26-2020
Video to FAW Community from Principal 4.26.20
Transcript (text) of Video to FAW Community from Principal 4.26.20
Letter to Parents from Secretary of Education 4.24.20
– Update from Principal/Archdiocese of Washington: 4-3-2020
Letter to Parents from Secretary of Education 4.3.20
– Update from Principal: 4-2-2020
Letter to FAW Community from Principal 4.2.20
– Update from Principal/Archdiocese of Washington: 3-28-2020
Extended School Closure Update 3.28.20
Letter to Parents from Secretary of Education COVID19 3.27.20
– Update from Principal/Archdiocese of Washington: 3-25-2020
Extended School Closure Update 3.25.20
– Update from Principal/Archdiocese of Washington: 3-20-2020
Letter to Parents Update #3 Coronavirus 3.18.20
– Update from Principal: 3-13-2020
– Update from Principal/Archdiocese of Washington: 3-12-2020
Maryland Closure Parent Letter 3.12.20
- Father Andrew White teachers are preparing assignments for students to work on during the school closure. Please look for an email from your child’s teacher(s) providing specific details regarding the assignments.
- All school-related events/activities originally scheduled for the timeframe of the school closure are canceled.
– Update from Principal/Archdiocese of Washington: 3-6-2020
Letter to Parents Update #2 Coronavirus 3.6.20
– Update from Principal/Archdiocese of Washington: 2-28-2020
Letter to Parents from Secretary of Education COVID19 2.27.20
ADW Coronavirus Resources 2.26.20
Please note: Our Father Andrew White School building will be closed through the remainder of our school year. During this time teachers and students will continue learning remotely.